Steinhaus will be the first female referee in Bundesliga

The 38-year-old police officer has been named as one of four new referees in Germany's top flight for 2017-2018. Steinhaus has overseen Bundesliga 2 matches since 2011 and also refereed the women's gold medal match between Japan and the United States at the London Olympic Games in 2012, but she was nonetheless overwhelmed by her nomination. "For us all, it's a dream come true. I'm very much looking forward to the task that awaits me", said Steinhaus, who will referee the Women's Champions League final between Lyon and Paris St-Germain in Cardiff on 1 June.
“When Lutz-Michael Frohlich [the head of German referees] informed me, I was quite speechless”, Steinhaus told the official DFB website. “I feel disbelief, joy, happiness, relief, curiosity - it was simply a roller-coaster ride of emotions! It has always been my dream to be a Bundesliga referee. That this dream will come true naturally fills me with joy. On one hand it is confirmation of my hard work, and on the other hand it is a great incentive to continue to work hard. I am aware that I will be the first female referee in the Bundesliga and will be closely watched by the media and the public. I am used to this pressure and am convinced I will find my feet quickly. I have worked very hard for this in the last few years and suffered a few setbacks".
Steinhaus made the news seven years ago after then-Hertha Berlin defender Peter Niemeyer was infamously caught on camera accidentally touching her left breast during a match against Alemania Aachen. When fourth official at a Bayern Munich match in October 2014, then Bayern coach Pep Guardiola put his arm around her shoulders as he argued about a refereeing decision. She brushed his arm off but the Spaniard was subsequently criticised in the media. Fortuna Dusseldorf midfielder Kerem Demirbay was banned for five games in 2015 for saying "women have no place in men's football" after Steinhaus sent him off for a second bookable offence. He later apologised but was ordered by his club to referee a girls' football match as punishment.
Steinhaus' partner, Howard Webb, refereed the 2010 World Cup final between Holland and Spain, becoming the first English referee to take charge of a World Cup final since Jack Taylor in 1974 – a game in which Holland lost to West Germany. Webb, 45, moved abroad to live with Steinhaus after splitting from his wife Kay, mother to his three children. 

Source: Daily Mail